Friday, January 20, 2012

5 Fave Friday - When Bad Things Happen on Good Vacations

I was thinking about some of the bad thing that I have had happen on vacation. I am pretty lucky because non of my family's "bad things" have put us in harms way. I thought I would share what I thought were vacation wreckers, but in the grand scheme of things are very mild..

5. Lost luggage - This happened to my wife on a conference trip the one time that she strayed from our preferred airline. All that she had were the clothes on her back and a few things in her carry on. This was the moment when she decided to start changing the way she packed.


4. Wardrobe malfunction - WHile in Hawaii we decided to go to a Lauao. We got all fancy and dressed up in our island finest and headed over to the hotel and while pulling my wheelchair out the strap on her dress broke. Neither of us noticed it right away, and are not sure if some other people received a "Janet Jackson" from my wife. The bright spot was that I got to be the knight in shining armor. I found a lovely house keeper who was able to give me a travel sewing kit that had a safety pin in it. We pinned up the problem strap and had a lovely evening. Thank you Grand Hyatt Kauai for great service, helpful & friendly staff, and a wonderful night.

3. Door on vehicle broke on the way to the airport - My last vehicle was a demon, if it could go wrong it did. On our way to the airport to catch a plane we heard several pinging sounds from the sliding door. When we got to the airport parking lot we saw that the pin sensors that lock the door fell into the door. The lights wouldn't go off and the car wouldn't lock. We left the car totally unsecured, praying it would be there when we got back. A few years later the same vehicle broke down the night before I was to do a marathon (for which I trained for a year). I was unable to get there and therefor didn't run it. I got a new car 2 weeks later.

2. Flat tire/ Broken hand rim at amusement park- Two separate occasions when I visited Disneyland I have had wheelchair trouble. The first time my hand rim broke off leaving me at the mercy of my little sisters top get me around the park (they were not used to, nor adept at getting a wheelchair around the park). One of the most frustrating three days EVER! Felt like I had whiplash when I got home. Numero 2 was on my 30th birthday when my wife and I were going to go to the fireworks and have a nice dinner and I noticed my tire was completely flat and I didn't have a spare inner tube. BLERG!! Needless to say this changed my habits a bit. I do not leave the state without having my wheelchair looked over by a trained mechanic. I also do not leave the state/country without two spare inner tubes and a tire kit (compressed air included). Also have to give props to the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa for trying to assist me with the problem and when it was clear we couldn't do it, helping me find a wheelchair mechanic that was open Saturday.

1. Sick on vacation - There is nothing worse than being on vacation an developing flu like symptoms. This has happened to me and my wife on different vacations. It really sucks. You are there and have been fantasizing about what you are going to do and WHAM, you just want your own pillow and for the ever present music to stop.

Well I tole you mine, now it is your turn. Leave me a comment of your bad experiences.

No comments: