Friday, January 6, 2012

5 Fave Friday-The planning

OK this is something I have blogged about alot recently but it is only because I am at the beginnings of planning my own big trip (of which I am a year and a half from taking). Here are my five tips that will assist you in having a smooth trip.

5. Discuss and research you destination. This seems like a no brainer, right? Trust me when I say that I have been on vacation and have overheard " so what is there to do here?". This was in Hawaii and there were literally a thousand things to do within a few miles of where we were eating. It doesn't have to be a chore to learn about where you are going. Check out some library books in the travel section of your library and make some food (or order it) from where you are going. It is a perfect way to get in the travel mood. You just may have to plan two trips if you are not quite sure where you want to go. Also go to your local travel agent and get some of their brochures, pick their brains for things to do while you are there. MAKE IT FUN!!

4. Find out how much things cost. Think you know what milk cost in Kauai? How about gas? You have got to look this stuff up in order to budget correctly. Just FYI a gallon of milk cost more than gas when I was in Kauai ($5).

3. If you have a disability, a small child, or just don't get around like you used to keep it in mind for your planning. I will fully admit that if I travel somewhere that is a few hours off I am jet lagged for two days so I really do not want to be scheduled to the last minute (got to get a nap somewhere). If you have arthritis in your hip perhaps a two hour tour of Athens won't do you any good (no fun if you are hurting). I have said it before, don't be the people dragging your little kids around and not taking account that for every one step you take it is two or more for them.

2. Don't over pack. My wife and I were horrible about this for years until she went to Ethiopia. Then you realize that you can purchase things, wash in sinks and dry on clothe lines, wear clothing more than one day in a row. What I am saying is that there are many options, not just put half your wardrobe into your carry on. In fact do a trial pack and narrow down what you need, what you THINK you need, and what you WANT. It is what I do before a big trip.

1. Make your lists. My wife is a list maker, and before every trip we have three or four lists going. I used to tease her about it until one of her lists reminded me to take some things that I would have been in trouble without. Thanks to my diligent wife, I am now a list maker too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And aren't you glad I never said "I told you so" about those lists?!? :)