Monday, November 28, 2011

More Travel Bug Bites.


Emerald Spring

My wife and I never really got to travel much as kids so when it comes to our son we want to make sure that he is a well-rounded traveler. We want to show him the entire world, and also some beautiful parts of this country (the United States for my readers abroad). This will be difficult for me because I just don’t see myself packing down the Grand Canyon on the back of a burro, or ice climbing in Alaska. There are still plenty of things to do when it comes to taking my son out to show him nature. A future trip that my wife and I will be taking him on will be a visit to Yellowstone National Park. This is an absolutely enormous parcel of land that was designated a wildlife sanctuary by President Theodore Roosevelt back in the day. It was his idea that we should all have a stake in America and that it be something we could visit (if we so chose).

I have always been fascinated by Yellowstone. Yes there is the tourist areas like Old Faithful geyser, the lodges and the thousands of unspoiled acres of trees, grasslands, and animals roaming free. Surprisingly, a lot of the park is wheelchair accessible. There are boardwalks, and hard packed level trails, campsites roads perfect for taking a handcycle out for a spin on. The accommodations in and around the area are like anywhere else (there are accessible rooms but they are limited so book early), and there are campsites (which is cool for those who like to sleep close to nature). The park offers Ranger guided events during different parts of the year and Park Service website is extremely helpful when it comes to finding out the accessible spots in various parts of the park. This kind of trip is what childhood memories are made of, roasting marshmallows over the fire, ghost stories and getting to see a bear or Bison in the wild (and take a picture of it). It is also a MUCH more basic type of vacation than those I have talked about before, which we all need from time to time, 
 Don’t you think?   

No comments: