Thursday, February 23, 2012

5 Fave Friday - Things not to scrimp on for a vacation.

Like all of you, I do not have unlimited funds to travel the world over so I try to cut corners where ever it is possible. I have filtered water bottles that I take instead of buying a new bottle for 4 bucks every time I want water. I pack snacks that I know will cost more on my trip. I even bring a portable WIFI with me when I know the hotel will charge me for it. There are some things that I believe whole heatedly that should never be scrimped on. These are just a few that I have come across in my years of traveling.

5. Luggage - I am not saying that you need to have the most expensive suitcases out there. I am saying that you want to have a few good quality pieces that will protect yoGur belongings that will, lets face it, not be handled like they are made of glass. My wife and I bought a good set of Samsonite that were rated highly and also made the choice of a distinct color so that we can find them easier when they are on the baggage carousel. We also purchased a quality backpack that has been all over the world and still looks like we could get another decade or more out of it. Be smart, and know what your specific needs are about your luggage and lay out some money up front and you will save in the long run.

4.Travelers insurance - This may sound like I am waiting for something bad to happen. In truth bad stuff does happen, and it is always best to be prepared for that eventuality. Do you really want to get sick/injured and still have to cover an expensive trip. And don't even get me started on travelers health insurance. You really have faith that your regular health insurance will cover you in full on vacation? I don't chance it, neither should you.

3. Tours - If you are on a vacation where guided trips are offered, best practice is to spend a little more and do one that is reputable. You do not want to be in a strange area with someone who doesn't know what they are doing, potentially putting you in danger.

2. Food Budget - When traveling my wife and I always over budget the amount we will spend on food. We usually do not come anywhere near this amount on vacation. When it was the two of us and this is totally destination dependent we would budget around $100 a day. We discovered that we snack and usually only eat two meals during a vacation day so this works well for us. We may bump it up another $50 now that we have our son but even if we do we will always come home with money in our pocket. As my wife says you can always take money home but if you run out there is nothing left for you to eat. Don't tell her I said this but she is very smart.

1. Hotel - This is where you are going to sleep, change your clothing, shower, eat (maybe), and potentially be your most vunerable. Do you really want to cheap out on this? End up at a hotel where there may be an insect infestation, or as I often think, have pin hole camera videos show up on the internet? I am not saying that you should spend a kings ransom on your room. There are great deals out there for good quality chain and boutique hotels, even big resorts and small independents. There is also the question of what kind of customer service are you going to get. Will there be someone to assist you with questions about the area? Someone to assist you with your bags. Even security is an issue to keep in mind. Can I park my car and not worry about it getting busted into. Can I leave my room without someone going through my stuff at turn down. Just remember the old addage "you get what you pay for"

No comments: