Friday, October 28, 2011

5 Fave Friday - 5 Things I Don't Travel Without.

Some on my list are necessities, some are superstitions but all will be on a trip with me.

5. Something to read. Yes I do not travel without a book, magazine, or something for me to keep myself from going totally starkers. I have no ability to walk around an airplane, and if we are driving through an area that all pretty much looks the same, my nose is in a book.

4. My camera. I also am a huge proponent of vacation pictures. I love the fact that at one point in my life I took a road trip with my aunt and we stopped at every "Welcome to" sign we came across. Creating memories is what traveling is all about. They might not all be good ones (i.e. like when I was below deck on rough seas and was hit by a huge feeling of sea sickness) but afterwards you can all laugh at it (like when you went to a luau and your dress strap broke while unloading a wheelchair and your husband begged a sewing kit from house keeping)

3. Medications. It is always something to be aware of. You can buy clothes and toiletries, but pills, creams, and the other things doctors write you a prescription for are priceless on a trip

2. Grandma was right. Bring along a clean pair of undies. Yes you can wash them out in the sink overnight but what are you going to wear while waiting for them to dry. Nana's every can't be wrong.

1 A two dollar bill (US currency). This was started by my Nana who always sent me on trips with on "just in case". There may be a time when you need just a little cash and if everyone in your party has a two dollar bill it adds up. My reasoning behind it is different however. EVERY trip that I have not had one in my pocket has ended in something bad happening (a bus left us on the side of the road, a wheelchair tire goes flat, you get the picture). Maybe it is a self fulfilling prophecy but I don't chance it. And now you know....

1 comment:

Juliet said...

Ok so I'll share one of our funny must haves: when L and I visited China we were advised to bring something to share with the locals in lieu of tipping. I was stumped, but then I took a cue from my own postage stamp collection. I purchased some first day covers and stamped postcards with baseball parks and baseball players. They were well received!