Friday, October 14, 2011

5 Fav Friday

I started trying to do this once before and it just made me sad for not traveling. I am going to buck up and try it again, because I can always come up with 5 favorites. This week 5 favorite places I have eaten (or dreamed of eating) on vacation right after I have gotten off the plane. This is not the best food, nor is it the fanciest. We have all gotten off the airplane ravenous and because airline food is just nasty we have grabbed a quick bite. Here are mine:

5. Ivar's Seafood - Seattle Tacoma International Airport. Simply put it has something other than Pizza, Burgers, or mall Mexican or Chinese. This place has been making food since 1938 and was on a Frommers best list. We usually fly in at night around dinner (or a bit later) so I go get a bowl of clam chowder, and my son will eat anything that he can dip (fish and chips with Tatar sauce applies).

4. Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill located in Disney's California Adventure was one of those places that we discovered after a long foodless flight. We were going to go to one of the nicer eateries but the lines were to long, and really the last thing my wife and I wanted to do was sit inside. (Forgot to mention that we came from rainy Seattle to mid 60's Anaheim and were treated to the first sun we had seen in a while). Not the best Mexican food (rates about on par with Qdoba Mexican Grill), but the first time we went there it just hit the spot. Plus the food is very kid friendly and it is outside so the birds can get a meal off of what your kiddo drops. If you are looking for another alternative Taste Pilots Grill in DCA is also worth a shot (burgers, ribs, fries...) or if you happen to be in Disneyland try Cafe Orleans where some of the Blue Bayou food can be found to go. Really I do not work for Disney, I just like going there and having fun.

3. Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport, at the airport in Orlando (huh, imagine that). OK this could be the jet lag talking but my wife and I took the red eye and got to Orlando as a jump off for a cruise. I do not think either of us had been that tired and hungry in a long time. We had a very nice bellman take our bags and gently guide us to their restaurant where we were served a very delightful breakfast of fruit, waffles, and eggs (and coffee for me). Then the same bellman came back to get us as our room was done several hours early and he said we looked like we needed sleep. Fantastic service!!

2.) The Rio Buffet- Las Vegas, Nevada. This was the first meal we had right after my then fiance and I got settled in to our room. We were in Vegas to get married and or best person (who had to Vegas many times) treated us to the Rio. It was good and there was (as promised) tons of different things to gorge yourself on. We had far superior food at the Bellagio buffet but the Rio will always have a special place in my heart.


That leads to numero Uno!!

1.) Tropical Taco in beautiful Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii. I have sang this song on other posts but this is the best fish taco I have eaten. I am in an area that has really good Mexican food and this little taco stand just blows the doors off them all. It could be the fresh caught fish, or the hand made guacamole, or the fact that they make it to order. Maybe it is the simplicity of it all. This would be one of the things I would ask for in my last meal.

So now that I have told you my faves. Tell me some of yours bu leaving a comment.

3 comments:

Juliet said...

J we'll have to try your Kauai fav when our little family ventures there. Thanks for the recommendations! I have to admit to frequently insisting on Dairy Queen in Grand Mound--the drive to Portland is long and it's located conveniently halfway.

jacob kinser said...

Perhaps we should all go together. That way the boys can occupy each other and each set of parents can have a night or two off to explore sans child.

Juliet said...

I'd like that. I presume you mean we visit HI. Not DQ. ;)