Friday, March 16, 2012

5 Fave Friday - Travel Apps

Where ever you look today it seems everyone has a smart phone. From IPhone, Droids, to Blackberry people want to stay connected. This seems particularly true for travelers who use apps for everything from checking in to the airlines to playing games while waiting for a cab, or even messaging someone and sending emails. I am no exception to this technological craze having had a quad band Blackberry that I could instant message my wife even when she was in Europe. I am now using an IPhone (mostly so I can message my wife without having a texting plan) but I do so like the deals of the apps while I am traveling. I am new to the apps so my experience is limited but here are my 5 for this trip:

5. Alaska Air check in app - I like the idea that I can check in for my flight while waiting on the plane for the isle seat. This is handy because I am the last one off the plane and that can make it difficult when trying to make the connection.

4. Angry Birds (free edition) - My 2 year old gets squirmy when we have to wait in lines so we discovered this game. He likes the sounds that the birds make when they are tossed into the air, and also yelling "BOOM!!" when the buildings are knocked over. I see us playing this while waiting for Dumbo, or Smallworld.

3. Packing (+TO DO!) by Quinn Genzel - We are list people. A smooth trip starts out with many lists and this is a great one for figuring out what you have and where it is. basically it gives a item by item inventory of your luggage and gives a guesstimating of weight. In this age of pay by the pound luggage and no frills flight it really is nice to have things organized.

2. FlightTrack - Live Flight information by Ben Kazez - This will be great for being able to see departure updates when I am away from the big board, it has great maps that I can zoom in on gives me gate numbers and much more. I figure I will have at least one more big trip in a year and this will be very handy to have for it.

1. Disneyland Magic Guide by VersaEdge Software LLC - I am going to Disneyland with a toddler for the first time so it is very important for me to know where things like "where is the closest bathroom" or "where can I get a kids power pack". This program (which offers a free version) is full of information like ride waits, GPS location tells you where you are, it shows a map with restaurants and restrooms, and has useful things like park hours, and priority dining reservations. All in all I will probably get my three bucks worth out of it on my trip, and future Disneyland trips to come.

No comments: