Monday, April 18, 2011

Lightening the Load

This is our first family trip. In fact for me this is the first time as an adult that I will have traveled with a toddler. I have discovered that if you have a kid or kids you do not get to travel light. My wife and I really do not want to be lugging stuff through the airport or have to check more bags than necessary. So after some research we have found a great alternative to bringing a caravan. Equipment rental. Now I bet there are some of you out there that are saying "duh, we have been doing this for years". For me it was a bolt of lightning. I called up Ready Rentals and told them that I wanted to rent a crib and highchair, they asked me when I would be there and the address of the rental and voila. It will be set up and ready when I get there.
You can do this with medical equipment too -- I may need to rent a shower bench.

This left us with some wiggle room for bringing something we don't mind lugging with us, my handcycle. I have searched high and low and there are very few places globally that rent this type of item. So I looked up shipping it (very pricey $300 and up for both ways), and then checked with our airlines. They do allow sporting supplies to be checked and my handcycle could be checked for around $75 each way (or we could ship it back as it is cheaper returning to the mainland).

We are less than three weeks out from our trip, and I am SO excited to post some new pictures from Kauai!

No comments: