Saturday, August 16, 2008

Your Friendly Neighborhood Travel Agent



So you have seen all of the travel commercials and you believe that you can accessibly travel without an agent. Well you sure can. However you will not just be logging on to the travel sites and punching in your price and viola. You my dear traveler will be calling the 800 number located on the site and talking to their travel experts (just a warning, its not Shatner). Plus you will probably not be saving much if anything. The major problem is that we the disabled are a captive audience. We pay more for LOTS of things, you just have to get that through your head.

That being said, there are deals out there with discount travel agencies. I myself have been a member of AAA for their travel deals (although I hear Costco is good too). I went into my local AAA office and met with 2 very nice and extremely helpful ladies (Mary and Theresa). I explained my limitations, needs, and wants with my various vacations. I have booked Disney packages IE:resort stays and cruises, boutique hotels, and other air+hotel+transportation all while getting the AAA discount AND that doesn't count the many times I have used them for auto stuff. My opinion get a membership, but I have gone on a tangent.

Mary and Theresa have many contacts within the travel world that we (the public) do not have. They also have the luxury of being able to surf websites, talk to booking companies, and have (through their AAA purchasing power) purchased blocks of rooms and tickets that I as one person do not. They also have clients like myself who if questions should arise, they can call. They also travel extensively themselves so they may be more attune accessibility outside the United States.
Sure you CAN book a vacation without an agent. You can also fix your car and plumbing without a mechanic or plumber. Why place yourself in the position of many phone calls and emails with someone who may or may not know exactly what you need when there are trained professionals that can advocate for you so you can enjoy your vacation without being exhausted.

No comments: